Just a sample of the Echomail archive
Cooperative anarchy at its finest, still active today. Darkrealms is the Zone 1 Hub.
|    HAM    |    Amateur Radio Interest    |    13,334 messages    |
[   << oldest   |   < older   |   list   |   newer >   |   newest >>   ]
|    Message 13,010 of 13,334    |
|    Rug Rat to All    |
|    AR Newsline 2502 - 10 Oct 2025    |
|    12 Oct 25 13:31:42    |
      MSGID: 1:135/250@fidonet 68ec021f       PID: C-NET AMIGA BBS 5.36b       Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2502 for Friday, October 10th, 2025               Amateur Radio Newsline Report Number 2502 with a release date of Friday,       October 10th, 2025 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.              The following is a QST. The world's largest radio telescope gets RFI       protection. The founder of the 13 Colonies special event becomes a Silent Key       -- and Sri Lanka launches its third CubeSat. All this and more as Amateur       Radio Newsline Report Number 2502 comes your way right now.              **              BILLBOARD CART              **       WORLD'S LARGEST RADIO TELESCOPE GAINS RFI PROTECTION              STEPHEN/ANCHOR: As construction continues on the world's largest radio       telescope - known as the Square Kilometre Array - Faraday cages have been       installed at the site in Australia as additional protection against RFI.       Graham Kemp VK4BB tells us what's happening there.              GRAHAM: Two Faraday cages have been put in place at the Square Kilometre Array       site in Western Australia to protect the giant radio telescope from       interference caused by RF leaks coming from inside the data centre. The data       centre and the array are being built in Murchison, a remote location that       provides a needed environment of radio quietness. Despite the radio silence at       the location, the data centre's computers, which connect to the city of Perth,       generate stray RF, spurring the need for Faraday cages to prevent the       electromagnetic energy from escaping.              The international massive array, which will have 131,072 antennas, is still a       work in progress since it was started in 2022. The site in Australia is home       to the array's low-frequency antennas; South Africa is housing the       mid-frequency antennas. The observatory and headquarters are at the Jodrell       Bank Observatory in northwest England.              Although the array will still be a work in progress through to 2029, Philip       Diamond, director of the SKA Observatory, recently told The Register website       that tests may be run on the facility as early as 2027. He told The Register:       [quote] "By then we will have the largest physical low-frequency telescope on       the planet." [endquote]              This is Graham Kemp VK4BB.              (THE REGISTER.COM)              **       SRI LANKA'S BIRDS-X CUBESAT IS IN ORBIT              STEPHEN/ANCHOR: Six years after launching its first nano satellite, Sri Lanka       has launched its third - and the ham radio CubeSat is orbiting the Earth. Jim       Meachen ZL2BHF tells us what to listen for.              JIM: The BIRDS-X Dragonfly CubeSat has marked a milestone for Sri Lanka,       becoming that nation's third nano satellite in space. Developed with help from       the Arthur C. Clarke Institute for Modern Technologies an the Kyushu Institute       of Technology in Japan, it began its orbit last month following its launch       from SpaceX-33.              Its mission is to serve as an APRS digipeater and to test a new low-cost       communication system. It will also demonstrate the relay of store-and-forward       data. Its callsign is JG6YOW. The APRS FM digipeater frequency is 145.825 MHZ       and its CW beacon is on 437.375 MHz.              The 2U CubeSate project was funded by Amateur Radio Digital Communications. To       file a reception report for the CW beacon, follow the link in the text version       of this week's newscast at arnewsline.org.              [DO NOT READ: https://tinyurl.com/mw35fzmc ]              This is Jim Meachen ZL2BHF.                     (THEMORNING, BIRDS-X PROJECT,COM, SATNOGS.ORG)              **       FCC DENIES APPROVAL OF 4 CHINESE-OWNED ELECTRONICS LABS              STEPHEN/ANCHOR: In the US, the FCC has continued its actions against       foreign-owned laboratories that test imported electronics for sale and use in       the country. Kent Peterson KCØDGY has that report.              KENT: Four foreign-controlled testing laboratories that evaluate electronics       imported for use in the United States have been denied recognition by the       Federal Communications Commission.              Just days before the shutdown that affected much of the US government,       including the FCC, the commission announced that the four laboratories, like       the 11 the commission denied in early September, were controlled by Chinese       interests. That makes for a total of 15 such labs rejected so far by the FCC's       Office of Engineering and Technology, as part of the administration's goal to       give US-owned companies the responsibility of certifying electronics for       import and sale in the US. All approved equipment must demonstrate that it is       not a threat to US national security and must comply with FCC standards.              This move is the latest following the commission's adoption in May of the       order. At the time the order was announced, the FCC disclosed that about 75       percent of all electronics sold in the US are being tested by Chinese labs.              This is Kent Peterson KCØDGY.              (FCC)              **              SILENT KEY: KEN VILLONE, KU2US, FOUNDER OF 13 COLONIES SPECIAL EVENT              STEPHEN/ANCHOR: The founder of a popular and much-loved annual tradition - the       13 Colonies Special Event - has become a Silent Key. We learn more about him       from Travis Lisk N3ILS.              TRAVIS: With the birth of the 13 Colonies Special event here in the US as a       four-day event in 2009, Ken Villone, KU2US, began a ham radio revolution.       Inspired by the fun of the ARRL Sweepstakes, the military veteran had hoped to       organize a special on-the-air event that would spotlight American history and       celebrate the nation's independence during the days surrounding the July 4th       holiday. As Ken told the ARRL earlier this year, the 2008 Sweepstakes spurred       him to try his luck [quote] ....for one year only, to see what happens and to       have some fun." [end quote]              The man who made sure that the fun would continue each year afterward became a       Silent Key on the 2nd of October following a lengthy illness. In the years       before his death, the 13 Colonies event had become an internationally popular       activity with bonus stations and chasers around the world.               Only weeks before this year's event, with his health worsening, Ken       transferred the event's leadership to his friend Tony Jones N4ATJ, coordinator       of North Carolina's K2J station. With the help of Bob Josuweit, WA3PZO, the 13       Colonies event went forward. Ken stayed active as the state manager for the       K2A operators in New York. Tony told Newsline that the event's 2025       certificate was one that Ken himself designed -- and that only one change was       made to it so it reflected that the event was honoring him, as its founder,       this year.              One event operator wrote on Facebook: [quote] "Ken had no idea just what he       had created. What started as a small event, over the next 17 years became one       of the most participated and celebrated Ham Radio events, not only in the       United States, but worldwide." [endquote]              Next year's event will mark the 250th anniversary of the nation's independence       and Tony will be looking for ways to mark that milestone while continuing to       honor Ken. He told Newsline: [quote] "I will miss Ken and his guidance."       [endquote]              Ken was 76.              This is Travis Lisk N3ILS.              (TONY JONES N4ATJ, LEGACY.COM, FACEBOOK, ARRL)              **       FLORIDA BAPTIST CHURCHES GROW EMERGENCY RADIO NETWORK              STEPHEN/ANCHOR: People in Florida who turn to their churches in times of need       will soon find refuge there in another kind of storm - hurricane season - with       the help of amateur radio. Jack Parker W8ISH tells us about creation of a new       church radio network-in-progress.              JACK: His role as the associational mission strategist for the Marion Baptist       Association doesn't require Mark Weible, N4GPA, to have a ham license - but       Mark, a former pastor, took his FCC test successfully a year ago and since       then he has been finding ways to harness ham radio's power for churches'       emergency communications during hurricane season.              The Ocala, Florida Baptist association has already added a radio shack and has       plans for a tower. Under Mark's direction, the group is also looking to create       a network of hams within its 67 member churches. Pastors are helping Mark       locate licensees within their congregations. Meanwhile, the association has a       telescoping radio antenna donated after an upgrade done by the Marion       Emergency Radio Team, a radio group Mark belongs to which handles disaster       communications at the county's Emergency Operations Center.              Mark plans to give church leaders a tour of the association's radio shack in       the hopes it will inspire them to install a shack for their own local       congregations. He told the Baptist Press that church involvement makes good       sense. He said [quote]: "If we were to have a hurricane, Id need to know       which churches have power, which churches are not damaged and which churches       can host disaster relief teams. Id need to know which churches need help and       which ones can help. [endquote] Meanwhile, he is busy being helpful even       without a radio in hand. His chaplaincy training assists him in helping       distraught families cope during or after disasters.              This is Jack Parker W8ISH.              (BAPTIST PRESS, FLBAPTIST.ORG)              **       BREAK HERE: Time for you to identify your station. We are the Amateur Radio       Newsline, heard on bulletin stations around the world, including the AA7WI       repeater in Tucson, Arizona on Fridays at 7 pm local time.              **       FCC CHARGES HAM WITH ILLEGAL 40M OPERATION              STEPHEN/ANCHOR: Even with the government shutdown here in the US, the clock is       still ticking for the FCC to receive a response from the Florida ham charged       with illegal one-way communications on the air.              A notice of violation was issued in late September to Mike F. Conte; KA2FPZ,       for having operated last March on 7.200 MHz, engaging in apparent one-way       communication with a station for which there is no active amateur radio       callsign. According to the Notice of Violation, he confirmed to the agent from       the Enforcement Bureau that his transmission was a one-way communication.              The FCC has ordered him to submit a response and explanation in writing within       20 days of the notice, which was dated the 29th of September. According to a       notice on the FCC website, the shutdown has no impact on filings related to       enforcement matters. A statement on the website reads: [quote] "Except as       specified by the Enforcement Bureau, there are no extensions of deadlines       relating to enforcement investigations and other enforcement proceedings that       involve specific parties." [endquote]               (FCC)              **       IARU FORUM HOSTS TOP DX CONTESTER, OFFERING TIPS              STEPHEN/ANCHOR: This month, contesters who are used to hearing a familiar       callsign on the air from Japan will get a chance to hear him off the air - in       a forum designed to help them sharpen their own contest scores. We have those       details from John Williams VK4JJW.              JOHN: There's no guarantee that Katsuhiro Kondou, JH5GHM, will be giving away       any of the secrets that have made him one of Japan's top DX contesters       but....you never know. Don, as he is also known, is presenting a one-hour       virtual talk to DX contesters - or those aspiring to become one - on the 19th       of October. His presentation on Zoom begins at 0600 UTC.              IARU Region 3 is hosting the workshop because, according to the region's       website, the number of contesters in Asia has been steadily growing. Don had       been an avid contester as a teenager in the 1970s but after a hiatus of a       decade or so in the '90s, he returned to ham radio and to contesting in 2010.              To hear his tips and maybe give yourself an edge in the next big event,       register by following the link that appears in the text version of this week's       newscast at arnewsline.org              [DO NOT READ: https://forms.gle/xL74BfWALEHoDmDD9 ]              This is John Williams VK4JJW.              (IARU REGION 3)              **       HURRICANE WATCH NET LAUNCHES PODCAST              STEPHEN/ANCHOR: Most of you have certainly heard the Hurricane Watch Net on       the air but.....have you heard it as a podcast or even seen it on YouTube? Now       you can do either - or both - as we hear from Randy Sly W4XJ. But first,       listen carefully:               |
[   << oldest   |   < older   |   list   |   newer >   |   newest >>   ]
(c) 1994, bbs@darkrealms.ca